Saturday, July 7, 2007

Of pigs with wings and cabbages and kings













One would think I need to get involved with another blog like I need a hole in my head. But I painted myself into a corner when I told the world (the 27 of them who visit pigsandwings, that is) that I would write only about media, advertising and marketing.

So when Phish invited me to write for his new blog, I saw a way out of the corner.

So I could blog about the entire world outside of media, advertising and marketing. About books, about food, about alcohol, about friends, about music. About India born Peter Sarstedt, and Where do you go to, (my lovely), which I first heard when I was about 8 years old, and I found again on a CD collection (Best Nostalgic Songs in the world ever!) at Crossword last Sunday.

And that should tell you that I’m old, and that I can’t handle phrases such as playlists and gizmos such as iPods. I like the old days when you listened to music album after album, and you knew the next song that would play without having to distract yourself with “shuffling”.

And I think it would take a crazy playlist that afforded me the magic of King Cole’s Unforgettable, Louis Armstrong’s What a wonderful world and Belafonte’s Jamaica farewell one after another -- as this CD does.

The rest of the album features Vincent, Killing me softly with his song, Raindrops keep falling on my head, Rose Garden and Speedy Gonzales.

That’s another reason I accepted Phish’s invitation. He can understand Kastadyne.

Shit. I forgot. Right Said Fred did a cover of Sarstedt’s song. Perhaps I’m not so old, after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.